6.02.2011

A Tough Question

If you were to ask any current or former SOAR intern what their first few days working in the office look like, they would probably roll their eyes and say "Meetings." My experience was no different. Meetings right and left. Meetings for keys. Meetings for paperwork. Meetings with pastors. Meetings with all staff. And finally, our first meeting as Student Ministries interns with Derry.

Kieffer, Jess, Tiffany, Dustin and myself sit around a table, eager to get the summer programming started. But before we begin, Derry asks each of us what we were most excited about and most nervous about going into the summer. I give it some thought and realize I've got a similar answer for both questions.

...To be completely honest, I'm excited about building strong relationships with Junior High girls and teaching them about Jesus. But at the same time, I'm scared to build such strong relationships with Junior High girls that they start coming to me as their Jesus...

There is a huge level of responsibility hanging on instructors, teachers, pastors and leaders of any kind. Realizing that students would be looking to me for the answers is one thing. But realizing the true importance of my role and every word that comes out of my mouth being taken as truth is another. What if I mess up a story and it skews their view on Christ forever?! Ok, so I wasn't panicking quite that much. But it is difficult becoming so close to students that they begin going to the source that has immediate answers and is visible and tangible before they ever start seeking God. It's one of the biggest fears that I have working with students. If somewhere down the road, I make it unclear as to who holds the answers, students could start looking to me instead of looking to God.

I will disappoint. I will let down. I will be wrong. The Father never will.

No comments: